Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Gulp Gulp, Ribbit!


Another froggy game! We played this one in May when we had a good handle on subtraction and we were practicing our skills! With all of these games  it is so important to teach the concept first (we usually played a similar game on the smartboard, then I modeled correct playing behavior and finally they were able to play.
 

 How to play: Each student will need one mat (with the frog and lily pad), one cup of black beans (These are the flies- I use a Dixie cup for distributing small manipulatives. They will only need about 10 beans.) Each table will need one set of subtraction cards.

Students pick a card, read the sentence and then use the mat to subtract. So, if I got 5-2, I put 5 black flies on the lily pad and then the frog eats two flies. So I drag two over to the frog. I count how many I have left and write my sentence.

 http://www.amazon.com/Set-144-Plastic-Black-Flies/dp/B004EVR1V2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392737814&sr=8-1&keywords=plastic+flies

If you don’t want to use black beans you can use these sweet plastic flies! I have a set, but I can’t find them!
Click the picture to get your copy of the game.
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Gulp-Gulp-Ribbit-Subtraction-Frog-Practice-1120815
 

No comments:

Post a Comment